Saturday, January 10

Communication Responsibility

More often, my boss and I argue about the reports I'm presenting. He keeps on telling me that they want it presented in different way or use such and such methodology. As a result, most of the reports have to be done again the way they want. What a waste of time! A part of me is telling me to defend myself and say that it's what you told me to do. I'm just coming from your words. I'm doing the reports the way you explain it. In my mind, my boss do not know how to explain and have the nerve to get angry. I'm expecting him to communicate with me effectively.

Since he is the one giving the instructions, should he be the one responsible for effective communication?

What is effective communication? or What is good communication?

Ah! From now on I will take 100% responsibility for two things when I'm communicating...

  1. I will take responsibility for understanding what the person I'm talking with is saying and what he/she means by what he/she is saying.
  2. I will take responsibility for ensuring that the person I'm talking with understands what I am saying.
In observation, when I employed these two things in communicating with my boss, we had no or less argument and less re-do of the reports.

Since I find it effective, I'm using them in my everyday conversation.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=8131750c5d3eee988e762d665b842884 ss_blog_claim=8131750c5d3eee988e762d665b842884